Christmas Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
I have been making these Christmas Biscotti for maybe… 10 years? I found the original recipe in one of my moms holiday baking magazines when I was about 17 and have adapted it since then. When I became vegan in 2013, I knew there was no chance of my family allowing me to leave these biscotti behind (my mom especially!). Over the years I have tweaked the recipe and made it vegan, and I honestly think they taste exactly the same! The original recipe never called for them to be dipped in chocolate, but I think that adds an extra festive touch for the holidays (the green and red from the pistachios and cranberries doesn’t hurt either).
Like any biscotti, these are best enjoyed with a cup of coffee or tea! These are a longstanding part of my family holiday tradition, and I am so excited to share my recipe with you! Don’t tell my mom.
⅓ cup (or 5 tbsp) vegan butter, at room temperature (I used Earth Balance)
⅔ cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
Substitute for 2 eggs (like flax eggs or Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups all purpose flour
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cups chopped pistachios
1 cup vegan chocolate chips (favorites include: Ghirardelli Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips and Trader Joe’s Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips)
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat butter, then add sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Add in egg substitutes and vanilla, incorporate again.
- Add flour and mix well. Add cranberries and pistachios until both are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Divide the dough in half. If It's really sticky, chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Shape each portion into a log about nine inches long onto a cookie sheet that’s lightly greased or has silicone baking mats.
- Let the logs cool for one hour before slicing (this step is super important - they will crumble if you try to cut them when still warm!).Bake the logs for 20 minutes, achieving a light golden brown.
- Cut ¾ inch slices across each log (finally - you see the biscotti take shape!) with a serrated knife.
- Place cut-side down on the cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow the biscotti to cool enough to touch and gently flip them so the other cut side is down. Bake for an additional 8 minutes. Let cool completely.
These biscotti are absolutely delicious as is, but if you want to take them a step further, dip em in chocolate! To do so:
- Melt chocolate chips with coconut oil. You can do so in the microwave at 30 second intervals, or by using a double boiler, which is my preferred way.
- Once the chocolate is melted, dip half of each biscotti however you want to! I like to dip it halfway vertically (see photo), but do it how you like it! Allow to dry completely before serving or storing. Enjoy!