It’s my vegan birthday! Or as many call it, my veganniversary. I’ve been vegan for 5 years as of yesterday. Time has flown by, and it doesn’t feel that long ago that I thought i would try this lifestyle out for a week or so “just to see if I could do it”.
“I’m not going to be that strict about it,” I told my mom. Little did I know, I was starting a completely new chapter of my life that would change my outlook on my health, environmentalism and animal rights. I’ve had more fun with food than I ever had before, and definitely wouldn’t have started Veggie Passport!
This definitely feels like a day to celebrate, so I’m sharing my favorite special occasion treat: champagne cupcakes! These are so delicious, and party guests are always impressed.
Let me know if you decide to impress your friends with these cupcakes in the comments and/or tag me on Instagram!
12 cupcake liners
¾ cup plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup champagne
2 ⅛ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
⅛ cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick (or ½ cup) room temperature vegan butter
3 cups powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract or 1 - 2 tbsp pureed strawberry
3 tbsp plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Whisk together the non-dairy milk and vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to curdle.
- In a second bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a third bowl combine the champagne, vegetable oil, vanilla and the vinegar/milk mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly.
- Fill your cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and tops are lightly browned. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Beat the room temperature butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Slowly sift in the powdered sugar. Continue to beat until smooth. Add in the vanilla or pureed strawberry. If icing is too dry, add the non-dairy milk one tbsp at a time. Beat a final time to ensure smooth and beautiful frosting.
- Frost your cupcakes with your desired technique.