I’ll admit, I’ve never had a classic diner tuna melt, but I can’t imagine it’s better than this sandwich. You likely have most of these ingredients in your kitchen already, and it’s a delicious meal anytime of day or night. No seriously, this makes a great late-night snack.
Do you have a favorite all-American diner meal? Let me know in the comments and if you make this, tag me on Instagram!
1 can chickpeas, drained and roughly mashed
¼ cup vegan mayo, plus extra for the roll
1 tsp yellow mustard, plus more for the roll
¼ cup pickles, finely minced (like cornichons or baby dills)
¼ cup celery, finely minced
½ lemon, juiced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Sandwich bread or hero rolls
Greens (leaves of romaine or kale work great)
Slices of vegan cheese (I find that Field Roast’s Creamy Original Chao Slices work best)
- Turn your oven on to broil.
- Combine mashed chickpeas, vegan mayo, yellow mustard, pickle, celery and lemon in a large bowl and mix until combined. Make sure to taste and season with salt and pepper.
- If using hero rolls, slice open lengthwise.
- Spread mayo on the inside of the top of the roll, and mustard on the inside of the bottom. Layer a few scoops of the chickpea mixture onto the side with mustard. Add a few pieces of kale and cover with slices of vegan cheese. Place the roll with chickpea, kale and cheese on a baking sheet and under the broiler for a few minutes, just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Once the cheese has melted, remove from the oven and allow to cool a minute or two.
- Add a few slices of tomato and top with the other half of the roll.