Sweet French Crepes
PSA: Mother’s Day is this weekend! So naturally, I’ll be making my mom’s favorite: French crepes. These can be made sweet or savory, but my mom likes them sweet and so do I!
If you’ve never had a crepe (uhm why?), they are delightful very thin pancakes layered with sweet (or savory) fillings and folded up. They are a French staple and we never go a Mother’s Day without crepes. In this recipe, I paired them with strawberries, bananas and vegan nutella, but you can use whatever fillings you like! Experiment with different sauces and fruits - go nuts.
If you decide to give these a try, let me know! Leave a comment with your favorite fillings or tag me on Instagram!
1 cup flour
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cups plain non-dairy milk
3 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
Vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
2 bananas, sliced
Vegan nutella, can be homemade like this one from Minimalist Baker or store bought (I like Nutiva)
Powdered sugar, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (don’t skip this step - it makes all the difference!).
- Start with a test crepe. Very lightly butter the surface of a nonstick frying pan and place over medium heat (I just rub the stick of Earth Balance right on the pan). When the pan is hot, add about ¼ cup of batter and quickly tilt the plan to allow the batter to cover the entire bottom surface/until you have a circular crepe-like shape (mine are never a clean circle, and that’s perfectly fine!). Cook just until the edges start to pull away from the bottom of the pan, about 2 minutes.
- Using an offset spatula if you have one (regular/thin spatula if you don’t), very carefully flip and cook 30 seconds or so on other side. Slide the crepe off the pan and onto a plate.
- Adjust the batter as needed. If it seemed too thick and was difficult to coat the pan, whisk in a few splashes of water. Repeat until all batter is used up, adjusting by adding more water as needed. Lightly re-butter the pan as needed between crepes.
- Lay each crepe flat and spread nutella (or the sauce/spread of your choice) over the bottom half. Add bananas and/or strawberries to the bottom right portion of the crepe. Fold the top half over the bottom, and then fold the left side over the right.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and maybe more nutella if desired and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Connoisseurus Veg.