French Dip (Au Jus) Sandwich
The French dip Au Jus - the savory sandwich to top all savory sammies. This recipe can definitely be considered a comfort classic. I recommend enjoying with chips or fries!
The French dip/Au Jus is actually an American recipe (who knew? Not me.) - with “au jus” translating simply to “with juice”. I’ve seen that these sometimes also have cheese - so next time I think I’ll add a slice or two of Chao cheese!
What’s your favorite comforting sandwich? Tell me in the comments or tag on Instagram: #VeggiePasport and @veggie.passport.
FRENCH DIP (AU JUS) SANDWICH
1 large sweet onion, sliced into rings
1 large green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
½ tsp Salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 large Portobello mushroom caps, sliced into ½ inch slices.
2 tbsp veggie broth, if needed
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp thyme
For the Au Jus:
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 ¾ cup veggie broth
2 tbsp molasses
2 tbsp mustard
¼ tsp liquid smoke
Long ciabatta or french rolls
Mustard or vegan mayo (optional)
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet (I love cast iron for this) over medium heat. Once hot, add the sliced onions and peppers and sprinkle with salt.
- Stir every so often, until the peppers and onions begin to caramelize.
- Add garlic and combine, cooking for another 2 minutes or so. Remove the veggies from the pan and set aside.
- Along with 1 tsp olive oil, add mushrooms to the hot skillet and saute until they begin to shrink in size and release their juice. Add the thyme and oregano. If the mushrooms begin to stick to the pan, you can use up to 2 tbsp veggie broth to loosen them.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Au Jus ingredients - soy sauce, worcestershire, veggie broth, molasses, mustard and liquid smoke.
- When the liquid from the mushroom has almost evaporated, slowly pour in the Au Jus.
- Simmer mushrooms in Au Jus until heated through and add in the onions and peppers. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat until bubbly, and carefully strain the liquid from the veggies. I did this by placing a sieve over a large bowl, spooning the veggies onto the sieve and letting the juices drip to the bowl.
- Cut the rolls long ways but don’t slice all the way through (like a hot dog bun). Spread mustard or mayo (or both) if you like onto the rolls. Place the veggies into the roll. Carefully ladle the au jus into a small bowl, for dipping your sandwich.
- Now enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Brand New Vegan.