Southern Fried Tofu
I can’t say I really “missed” fried chicken since going vegan, but boy does this fried tofu hit the spot. It’s prepared almost identically to how traditional fried chicken is, complete with corn flakes.
You can slice the tofu of two ways. I tried tow ways to see which would be better, and even asked some taste testers. Verdict: both are delicious. If you like a thinner, crisper bite, slice into 8 long thin slices, kind of like cutlets. If you like a juicier bite, press the tofu for 15 minutes and slice in half horizontally. Then slice into 8 sticks, each about 3 inches long. These will be shaped like more like “chicken” fingers or mozz sticks.
I hadn’t planned on sharing the slaw recipe, as I really just threw a bunch of ingredients into the bowl. It seriously came out so tasty that I had to share. Purchased the pre-shredded ingredients in a bag for the slaw veggies and added some red cabbage. You can really do whatever you want for these veggies! Just make the dressing. I promise you’ll like it.
This recipe was a lot of fun to make and figure out, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Let me know in the comments what you think, or tag me on Instagram!
SOUTHERN FRIED TOFU
1 ½ cups plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
¼ cup hot sauce
1 package extra-firm tofu, sliced (see above for slicing tips)
1 ½ cups flour
1 tbsp paprika
Salt & pepper
¾ cup corn flakes, crushed
Vegetable, canola or peanut oil, for frying
½ cup spicy ketchup
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Whisk the buttermilk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and let it sit for a couple minutes. Stir in the hot sauce.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the ingredients of the dipping sauce and let it sit in the fridge.
- Prepare the dry ingredients for frying: Whisk together the flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Divide the flour mixture between two different shallow bowls or plates. To one of the bowls/plates, mix in the crushed corn flakes.
- Heat two inches of oil in a frying pan (I used cast iron) over medium heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees F. Take the tofu from the marinade, dip into the flour mixture, coating both sides. Dip back into the marinade, and then into the flour/corn flakes mixture. Set aside on a clean plate. Fry the tofu in two batches, flipping halfway through, allowing them to reach golden brown crispiness.
- Transfer to a wire rack lined with paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with coleslaw and dipping sauce. Enjoy!
¼ cup vegan mayo
⅓ cup hummus
¼ cup white vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tbsp dijon mustard
Salt & pepper
- Simply whisk all ingredients together. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Pour over raw slaw vegetables in a bowl or container that has a lid. Secure the lid on and shake to coat the slaw in dressing. Allow to chill in the fridge.