Taquitos (Happy Cinco de Mayo!)
My previous experiences with taquitos consisted of walking to 7-11 with my friends in college (pre-vegan days) and buying the ones that were kept next to the cashier. Those do not sound quite as appetizing as the ones I have for you today. These creamy, crispy, flavorful taquitos might be my new party go-to. They were surprisingly simple to make, even in large quantities.
I can be a tough critic when it comes to my own cooking, but I can honestly say I was very excited and happy when I realized how tasty these things are. I hope this gives you yet another reason to celebrate Cinco De Mayo this weekend! Let me know if you make these by leaving a comment or tagging me on Instagram!
16 (6 inch) soft corn tortillas
1 small onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small can diced green chiles, drained
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp chili powder
Dash cayenne (or more, to your liking)
A couple dashes of your favorite hot sauce (I’m currently loving Aardvark Habanero Sauce)
½ of one bunch of kale (about 2 cups), chopped fine
Juice of one lime
1 can black beans
½ cup vegan greek yogurt or sour cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 4 minutes or so.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add in the bell pepper and green chiles, followed by the spices and hot sauce. Let this mixture cook for about 5 minutes, before adding the chopped kale. As the kale wilts, add half of the lime juice and thoroughly mix everything together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat off and let this mixture cool while you work on the beans.
- Rinse and drain the black beans. Add the beans, along with the vegan yogurt or sour cream, pinch of salt and remaining lime juice to a food processor or blender. Blend until creamy (a little chunky is fine!).
- Stack 5 tortillas on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for about 20 seconds to soften (this helps prevent them from cracking when rolled). Heat a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Working quickly as the skillet heats, place about 2 tbsp of the black bean filling in each tortilla then roll tightly closed.
- Once all five are filled, add about 1 Tbsp cooking oil to the skillet, give it a few seconds to heat (it should shimmer), then add the filled taquitos seam side down. Cook the taquitos on each side until brown and crispy, then transfer to a clean plate. Continue with the rest of the tortillas, adding oil to the pan when necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro, vegan sour cream, salsa, guac, whatever you want!
Recipe adapted from Budget Bytes.